I LOVE extra sauce! This always causes me stress when I eat in a restaurant. I am always worried when I order, that they either won’t understand or won’t remember that I need extra sauce on the side in case there is not enough in the dish. I am kind of a cross between Sally from “When Harry Met Sally” and Rainman.
So, when I developed intolerances to gluten, dairy, and eggs, my sauce loving days were in peril. Goodbye Hollandaise and Béarnaise. Goodbye, extra mayo. Goodbye almost every rich, creamy, delicious sauce that ever existed! Or so I thought….there was no way I was going to eat anything sauce-less. NO way! For me, it is more like having food with my sauce than the other way around. OK, you get my drift. We had to do some research and get creative. My husband is the chef in the family, but I am usually in charge of the most important part of any meal – the SAUCE!
A few notes: 1) I discovered Veganaise – my favourite egg-free mayo. You can find it in the refrigerated section in the natural food department. 2) Organic, full fat coconut milk has replaced regular milk in lots of recipes. 3) Also, I didn’t put in measurements. I will leave that up to you. You would probably find my recipes too heavy on the garlic, anyway. 4) Finally, I didn’t reproduce the recipes from other sources. IP laws.
So, without further ado, here are my top 10 favourites. Some are our own creations, some are the work of others, and one or two come from a bottle. But they are all delicious!
- Creamy Tangy Garlic: Veganaise, coconut milk (full fat), lime, lime zest, garlic
- Asian: Honey, citrus (lime, lemon, or orange), rice or apple cider vinegar, gluten-free tamari, sesame oil (just a bit), ginger, garlic. (Add Veganaise if you want to make it creamy.)
- Peanut Sauce: Asian plus natural peanut butter (Add Veganaise to make it creamier.)
- Chimichurri – there are so many variations. It's probably best to Google and find one you like.
- Creamy Turmeric: Here is the link: http://www.hollywoodhomestead.com/creamy-turmeric-sauce-anti-inflammatory-aip-friendly/
- Lee’s Hoisin Sauce from Gwyneth Paltrow’s “It’s All Good” (There is miso in this recipe, which does have some gluten in it - but it doesn't seem to bother me) Link: http://goop.com/recipes/lees-hoisin-sauce/
- Brianna’s Real French Vinaigrette Salad Dressing (Newman’s Own Oil & Vinegar comes in a close second)
- “Fresh at Home” Caesar Dressing – I looked online and you probably have to buy the book for this one. Quickly, tofu, Dijon, and capers are the main ingredients that make it vegan.
- Grilled Lemon Vinaigrette from Gwyneth Paltrow’s “It’s All Good”. This sauce is for salmon, but we use it for other stuff too. Link: https://lesliewoodwardwellness.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/grilled-salmon-with-grilled-lemon-vinaigrette/
- Yellow mustard, maple syrup, orange juice and Veganiase (I just invented this last night – it has no name yet. Actually…..a bit of garlic might be good here too.)
I know we have made a lot more. The phrase “We have to write this one down.” is common here at dinner time. We hardly ever do – until now. More to come!